LED Lighting Technology Versus Traditional Lighting: What You Should Know
We always hear about the benefits and advantages of LED lighting technology in comparison to traditional lighting options. As a matter of fact, more and more people are switching from conventional lighting to LED lighting technology. And why not? When you compare LED lighting technology to other lighting solutions, LED lighting is ultimately the best alternative for all of your lighting needs. If you´re looking for the perfect illumination method for your barn lights, picture lights, piano lamps or any indoor or outdoor decor setting, LED lighting is the preferred choice.
LED lighting has made a huge impact in technology with the conversion from analog to digital. Not only are there positive benefits of using this technology of digital light, but it is also beneficial to our planet. For this reason, we should share this experience, make a difference in the world and become a part of this revolution.
Let's take a look at the major differences between LED lighting and traditional lighting.
Differences between LED lighting and traditional lighting
Lifespan – LED lighting has a greater lifespan than traditional lighting. It has a general life expectancy between 25,000 to 50,000 hours. In comparison to traditional lighting, incandescent bulbs only last between 1,000 to 2,000 hours. As a result, LED lighting replacement is less frequent.
Safety – LED lighting is safer than traditional fluorescent lighting. Unlike fluorescent and other mercury vapor lights, LEDs don´t consist of hazardous chemicals and they emit less amount of heat. On the other hand, traditional incandescent lighting consumes more heat since they convert more than 90% of the total energy used to power them into heat.
Light Output – LEDs have at least a light output of 120 lumens per watt; however, incandescent lighting only has a light output between 12-24 lumens per watt. So LED lighting produces more brightness than any other traditional lighting.
Endurance – LED lights consist of a strong, durable structure making them resistant to heat, cold and vibrations and therefore, long-lasting. Their durability is more sufficient among a variety of indoor and outdoor applications but traditional lighting is unable to sustain extreme temperatures and movements, making them less durable.
Productivity – LEDs consume less power, have a longer lifespan and generate a greater amount of light output. As a result, they are more efficient and in the long run, a better economical investment, compared to traditional lighting.
The benefits of LED lighting technology
LED lighting technology offers numerous advantages that we can benefit from. Let's explore those specific benefits that LED lighting provides:
- LED illumination works well with a low-voltage power supply. LED lighting is also suitable for outdoor environments including remote and rural areas.
- LED lights brighten up instantly and maintain their brightness which are most convenient in public areas and for traffic and signal lights. In addition, they can be turned on and off without harming their lifespan and light emission.
- LED lighting is particularly designed to disperse its light in the most efficient way without the use of an external reflector.
- LED lighting is constructed to resist both cold and hot temperature settings.
- There is a selection of designed LED lighting made to suit the demands of different locations. For example, individual LED lights can be dimmed for the purpose to control brightness and color. LED illumination systems are well-designed to create amazing lighting effects for the eye, mood and mind.
- LED lighting is ideal for certain locations such as museums, art galleries and archeological areas – to name a few- due to the fact that it produces little infrared light and zero UV emissions. Locations like the ones mentioned, contain objects, goods and materials sensitive to heat and ultraviolet light and require sensitive lighting to prevent damage and destruction. The use of LED lights resolve this potential issue.
Pictured: Customizable Tru-Slim LED Picture Light
- LEDs are extremely durable and sturdy. They can tolerate the roughest weather conditions and are resistant to shock, vibrations and external impacts. For this reason, they fit appropriately in traffic related public exposure, construction and manufacturing sites.
- LED lighting is friendly to the environment because they do not contain toxic chemicals such as mercury. It is also 100% recyclable. Furthermore, one LED light bulb is equivalent to 25 incandescent light bulbs, saving material and production of unnecessary light bulbs, resulting in a healthier, greener planet.
- LED lighting is energy efficient. It produces mostly light, not heat which is a breakthrough for cities, railroads, airports and even your own home. On the contrary, traditional lighting powers more heat than actual light. This is also a big money-saver when it comes to maintenance and replacement as LED lights last longer.
- LEDs have a significant lifespan. For example, if you leave on a LED light fixture for 8 hours every day, it would take about 20 years before you would have to replace the LED bulb. That's a long time! Also, LED lights don't burn out and stop working like traditional lights do. Instead, its light output level decreases over a long period of time and little by little, becomes less bright until it eventually wears out.
- LED lighting products and fixtures complement interior and exterior design. They are aesthetically more appealing and add a sense of high-quality and sophistication in all settings. At Cocoweb we are dedicated to provide the finest, modern-design lighting products. From frame lighting to piano lights to art lamps, among others, Cocoweb provides lighting fixtures to blend in with your design style.
In conclusion, LED lighting technology has many advantages and benefits. If you didn't know already or simply needed a reminder, we hope that this will convince you to select LED lighting over traditional lighting. You can save money. You can save energy. You can save our planet. LED lighting is obviously the way to go. SAY YES TO LED!
At Cocoweb we take pride in our selection of indoor and outdoor light fixtures. We specialize in high-end LED lighting products to complement interior as well as outdoor design. Our products include picture lights, piano lamps, post lights, ceiling lights, barn lights and much more! The simplistic elegance of our designs make each lamp versatile for blending with different settings. Contact us for further inquiries or visit our online store at Cocoweb.